Guideline to Study Mandarin in Taipei

Ever since I started working in Singapore, I realise the importance of being able to have a basic proficiency of Mandarin in both speaking and listening. This is because it turns out that the language which is usually spoken casually in the office or when you are ordering food in hawker centre is Mandarin. Can you imagine my frustration when I can't even understand what my peers is talking about during lunch? You can't expect anyone to be your translator unless you are a president of a certain country. But then again, after all, even Mark Zuckerberg has taken up the lingo himself. So yup, I suppose the motivation to learn Mandarin is kinda pushed by daily life frustration in my case.

Can you learn Mandarin in Singapore?

I took the Beginner and Intermediate level at Cambridge Institute at Peninsula Plaza before. But I was still unable to speak and understand even basic gossip conversation of my colleagues in the office. This was annoying especially since on level costs me around SGD 300. Two years after my first course in Singapore, I gave another try to study Mandarin at National University of Singapore (NUS) extension at Park Mall. Since it has been two years, I started again from Elementary Chinese I level and paid SGD 300 for it. Sadly, my Mandarin level is nowhere near conversational. So with 900 SGD already bled from my wallet, I decided to conclude that it's indeed very hard to master the language in Singapore. I suppose it's because I need to be exposed to an environment where I am forced to use Mandarin and Mandarin alone. After all, my discipline level is as high as a baby.

So where should we go to learn Mandarin?

It's either China or Taiwan. But there are factors to consider because after all these two countries are very different and at each other toes nearly all the time. My consideration back then was:

China -> use simplified version of Mandarin (easier to memorise), more expensive because the price tag of the course is in USD, zero relatives

Taiwan -> use traditional version of Mandarin (pain in the ass to memorise), cheaper because the price tag of the course is in TWD (woots), my aunt lives there

If you don't have any relatives in any of the countries above, I suppose money and simplified/ traditional Mandarin will be your biggest matter to ponder before pursuing your study.

Which school to go in Taiwan?

Taiwan has three major cities to choose from to learn Mandarin: Taipei, Taichung and Kaohsiung. While the price to study Mandarin may be cheaper in Taichung and Kaohsiung, I find the cities to be not as exciting as Taipei. For instance, commuting may be a bit of challenge in Taichung because the city is not equipped with the MRT system yet. Meanwhile, Kaohsiung, I didn't know, I didn't really know much about Kaohsiung in general and hence, kinda reluctant to study Mandarin there.

Taipei has so many universities and language schools offering Mandarin to foreign students.  I did so many researches online and I realised that if you come from a nationality which requires visa to go to Taiwan, your options to study Mandarin in Taiwan is rather limited. You can only enrol at the language schools at those national universities (such as National Taiwan University or National Taiwan Normal University) instead of any private tuition center. This is because Taiwan government will only grant extended visa (2 months) if you are studying language at those big universities or approved language schools. Not all language schools are approved by Taiwan Government to issue official letter of acceptance to overseas students and this letter is vital for the visa application. 
If you are confused, you may want to look for other people's opinions and these are available at online forum such as www.forumosa.com. I myself did my research there and decided to enroll to National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) or otherwise known as 師大 (Shi-da) after my research.

Guideline to Study Mandarin in Taipei

Why I chose to study Mandarin at NTNU/ Shida?

Simple. Because of its convenient location in downtown Taipei (within walking distance from Taipower Building MRT station) and its reasonable tuition fees. An intensive three months language program costs NTD 36,000 (USD 1,187) while a regular three months language program costs NTD 26,400 (USD 870). More details on Shida's mandarin course can be found at their website. You can read other people's opinions on Shida and other schools at forumosa. They are pretty informative although sometimes your experience in studying a language is heavily depended on the teacher and the classmates (the latter is not important if you plan to attend a private 1-on-1 class). Back in 2013, I had to submit my application to Shida by mail so you have to allocate mailing time for the application.

What happens upon enrolment at NTNU/Shida?

An interview will be done upon your enrolment at Shida to establish your language proficiency. You are allowed to skip class if you are not a total newbie. You can choose to learn Mandarin using Hanyu Pinyin (which is commonly used for teaching Mandarin in China Mainland and Singapore) or Bopomofo (which is only used for teaching Mandarin in Taiwan). I have learned the use of Hanyu Pinyin back in Singapore so I am allowed to skip this class level 0 and start directly from level 1. This is the first time I heard of class level 0 though.

Which books are used to study Mandarin at NTNU/ Shida?

The tuition fees to study Mandarin at NTNU/ Shida does not include the fees for the books. Shida uses Practical Audio Visual Chinese series book. One book contains around 12 - 13 chapters and yes, unfortunately the book is quite heavy and you have to log it everyday you go to the class. Each chapter of the book starts with a dialogue mostly about basic daily life conversation like what's your hobby, how to buy things and how to ask for direction. Each chapter has its own set of vocabulary to learn too (mostly from the dialogue). If you join the intensive class, expect to have dictation everyday on these vocabulary which is getting longer day by day. A separate workbook book will also given to you when you buy the main book. The workbook is mainly for students to practice their writing and yes, do expect daily homework in intensive class. After all, you don't want your money to vapor in the air for nothing, right?

Practical Audio Visual Chinese series book

One set of the grammar and work book costs NTD 780 (USD 25.70). You can get 10% student discount if you flash your student ID card to the bookstore staff. The bookstore is located just opposite Shida (it's called Lucky Bookstore) at 2F, 182-3 Heping East Road, Section 1. 


Share this:

, , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment