Taiwan food: Totoro shaped pancake, Shilin Night Market


Totoro shaped pancake, Shilin Night Market
Totoro pancake from Shilin Night Market in Taipei
Totoro shaped pancake at Shilin Night Market Basement
 
I love going to Taiwan but unfortunately I could not visit the country every year because well, I love going to other countries too. So basically, if I follow my wanderlust everytime it pops up, I will go broke in a second. Thankfully we are living in the era of social media and I really like checking out latest food trend in Taiwan. The foodie instagrammer from Taiwan is so good at taking picture and even editting them before uploading into Instagram. I am in awe. 
 
If I have the chance to go Taipei now I will surely go to the food that IG-er @tong_intw took at Shilin Night Market. I know Totoro is a very popular character from Hayao Miyazaki’s creation and even though Totoro is born in Japan, its fame has reached the shore of its neighbouring country, Taiwan. But this is the first time I see that someone has created pancake mold in the shape of Totoro and then selling the filled pancake in the shape of Totoro at Shilin Night Market. 
 
Based on @tong_intw’s picture, you can select one flavor for batter and one flavor for filling. The batter selection is: valrhona chocolate, marukyu-koyamaen matcha and lescure cream (oh wow, what’s with the exotic name?). The filling flavor is: cheese, rice cake, custard, red bean, peanut custard, chocolate custard, brown sugar rice cake. You can mix two flavor too although it’s not very clear if there’s additional charge cause my Mandarin sucks. You can see how the pancake is filled with the cream from @yen.food.life’s pictures. Oh gosh, they look so yummy and cute. 
 
Price wise, the varlhona chocoalte batter and lescure cream costs 50NTD while marukyu-koyamaen matcha costs 55 NTD. I suppose it will be something like Singapore Mr Bean’s pancake but in Totoro shape. Smart marketing move because I would also buy Totoro because I can take picture with it before eating them. 
 
Give it a try when you are there, ok? 

Share this:

, , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment