What It’s Like to Eat Alone in Singapore?


What It’s Like to Eat Alone in Singapore?
 
Being a natural born introvert, I have no issue eating by myself. But I admit sometimes I can get a bit bothered about my surrounding when I eat alone. I suppose introverts can be sensitive at times. But during normal days, I try to allocate a lunch-time-me-time where I can enjoy eating with myself. But so far, how’s the experience of eating alone going in Singapore?
 
1. Location matters
 
If you are eating alone in fast food restaurants/ food court/ hawker centre setting, you will not stand out so much because hey, other people do the same. However, in the food court/ hawker centre, you’ll bound to share table with stranger but no fret, strangers in Singapore don’t really initiate conversation. Unless you are unlucky and ended up sharing table with I dunno, friendly Australian or chatty American, maybe? But chances, you will sit together with random Asian aunty/uncle/girl/guy who is also a solo diner in food court/ hawker and they usually don’t talk. 
 
However, if you choose, let’s say Chinese restaurant like Putien or Crystal Jade to eat alone, you are bound to stand out and probably invite a bit of attention from the other tables. But stare can’t kill so if you have a kick-ass don’t care attitude, you’re good to go anywhere. However, it’s hard to eat in peace in a restaurant which is catered for family dining. The portion can be too big for one as well. This is also applicable to Korean BBQ place. 
 
2. Timing matters
 
I find Sunday to be the worst day of the week to date myself. This is because there are limited places for people in Singapore to spend their weekend so every shopping malls/ cafes in town are bound to be crowded on Sunday. I figure the best mall for Sunday escapade is gotta be Millenia Walk. Orchard? Vivo City? Jurong? Tampines? Oh boy, let’s stay clear from this place on Sunday, shall we?

In addition, if you come to have your own me-time at a certain restaurant/ cafe during their peak lunch/ tea time/ dinner time, it will be challenging to find seat, let alone a cozy corner. So yeah, time your visit carefully. 

 3. Props help

Your beloved gadget such as smartphone or ipad will be your best dining companion when your experience starts getting awkward or uncomfortable. Modern society tend to get self-absorbed in their devices so it’s definitely acceptable by society to check your phone while waiting for the food to come. After all, people who don’t eat alone also do that on a regular basis. Otherwise, you can also bring book/ kindle. It’s totally gonna boost your sophisticated look. 

Don’t forget to bring your tissue pack or umbrella if you are going to eat alone at hawker centre in Central Business District area such as Raffles Place or Tanjong Pagar. This is because you will need those two things to chope/ reserve a seat in the bustling hawker centre. 

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment